Learn how to file GSTR-9C by following these simple steps
- Every registered person whose turnover during a financial year exceeds the prescribed limit of rupees two crores^ shall get his accounts audited by a chartered accountant or a cost accountant.
- ^The limit is enhanced to Rs 5 crore for the GSTR-9C of FY 2018-19 as per the CBIC notification dated 23rd March 2020.
GSTR-9C is a statement of reconciliation 50 between:
- the Annual Returns in GSTR-9 filed for a FY, and
- the figures as per the audited annual Financial Statements of the taxpayer.
- GSTR-9C must be prepared and certified by a Chartered Accountant or Cost Accountant. It must be filed on the GST portal or through a facilitation centre by the taxpayer, along with other documents such as the copy of the Audited Accounts and Annual Return in form GSTR-9.
‘Login’ to ClearTax GST, click on ‘Download Desktop App’ to download the ClearTax GST Desktop App
Login to ClearTax GST Desktop app, click on ‘File GST Returns’ to file your returns
Select a ‘Business’ to import your data
Under ‘GST Returns’, select ‘Prepare & File GSTR-9C’
Make sure to select the ‘Return Period’ for which you want to import the file. You can fill GSTR-9C & generate JSON only using the Desktop App. If you’ve logged in via ClearTax GST website , a modal will pop-up, asking you to continue filing GSTR-9C through the ClearTax GST Desktop App. Click on ‘Open ClearTax GST Companion’ to continue filling the form.
Under the tab ‘Prepare Part A’ fill the details required in the tables. The fields can be edited. Once all the tables are filled, click on ‘Save & Continue to Part B’ button to proceed
Make sure the all Mandatory fields marked using a ‘*’ are filled.
Under the ‘Prepare Part B’ tab fill in the required details , click on ‘Save & Continue to Save & File’ button to proceed
Under the ‘Prepare Part B’ tab, the ‘Taxpayer details’ can be auto-filled in some tables. Just click on the ‘Autofill now’ button to autofill the details.
Under the ‘Sign & Download JSON’ tab → Click on ‘Sign GSTR-9C using DSC’ button to sign the form using DSC
Make sure to turn on the ‘emSignerGSTN’ before signing GSTR-9C otherwise you won’t be able to sign GSTR-9C.
In case DSC is not attached properly, the following message will appear , click on ‘Ok’ button , click on ‘Sign GSTR-9C using DSC’ button to try again
In case the DSC is not attached at all, the following message will appear → Click on ‘Sign GSTR-9C using DSC’ button to try again
Note: In case the DSC is not attached at all, the following message will appear → Click on ‘Sign GSTR-9C using DSC’ button to try again
Once the DSC is attached → Click on ‘Sign’ button to sign the form
Enter the ‘User Pin’ , click on the ‘Login’ button to proceed
Congratulations!!! Your GSTR-9C is now signed successfully, click on ‘Download GSTR-9C JSON’ button to download the JSON , upload the JSON file downloaded to the GSTN Portal to file GSTR-9C